I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day! After all the BBQ and beer of the weekend, today we are making healthy Roast Beets, with beet greens and feta cheese. It is a lovely way to eat beets, with the sweetness of the beets, the saltiness of the cheese and the slight bitterness of the greens. I like to use a mix of golden and red beets since it gives a nice color. The golden beets absorb some of the red beets’ color and become a deep orange. It is purely for looks, though; they both taste the same so don’t worry if you can’t find golden beets.
Every 1 to 1 ½ beets make enough of a side for 1 person, so plan accordingly. This recipe is enough for 4-6 depending on the size of the beets and how hungry you are.
Now on to more important things! I just got up a suggestion box where you can put up any ideas or suggestions for recipes or anything you want to see on the site. I would really appreciate any feedback, and I hope to grow the site with your help!
3 Red beets with greens
3 Golden beets with greens
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp oil
4 oz toasted pine nuts, optional
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Pluck the beet greens from their stalks and set aside in a large colander.
3) Peel the beets and cut them into ½ inch cubes.
4) Rinse off the beets, and dry as best you can, otherwise they bleed too much.
5) In a large bowl, toss the beets with the oil, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
6) Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the beets over it, try to have it be one layer of beets thick if possible.
7) Roast the beets for 25-35 minutes (the beets should be easily pierced through with a fork).
8) While the beets roast, thoroughly wash the beet greens, and shake dry.
9) Remove beets from oven and add the beet greens to the beets and toss to mix well.
10) Roast an additional 5 minutes to cook the beet greens.
11) Remove from the oven and toss the beets together in a bowl. This helps the greens not get all clumped up.
12) When you plate the beets top each serving with some feta cheese crumbles and if you choose pine nuts.
13) Serve and enjoy!