Now to round out our three course meal, we have dessert! This is one of my favorite desserts, chocolate dipped fruit. It is perfect for a date since you can make it ahead of time, it looks amazing, and if it is a really good date you can feed them to each other.
You can use any fruit you want, but the chocolate only sticks to a relatively dry surface, such as the outside of a strawberry. It won’t stick well to something like a fresh mango slice or a fresh banana. You can make it work, but it is a little trickier so I recommend dried fruits. Pineapple is my favorite, or whole fruits like berries and tangerine slices.
This is a really simple recipe. The biggest thing to look out for is that you need to temper the chocolate. This is a fancy term for melting the chocolate correctly so that it is shiny and snaps when you bite it. You do this by melting the chocolate just enough but not too much. If you get it to hot, it will become chewy and soft when you cool it. If you follow my directions very closely, you will have great chocolate.
If you’re making the whole meal, from appetizer to dessert, here is how I would do it:
The Day Before:
Make the spiced nuts
Slice the cheese
Toast the crostini
Make the chocolate dipped fruit
The Day of, a Few Hours Ahead of Time:
Stuff the salmon
Dice all the ingredients for the ravioli
Plate the dipped fruit and the cheese and nut plate
Just Before Serving:
Cook the ravioli
Cook the salmon
With this plan, you should be able to make almost everything ahead of time. The only thing you will have to do is cook the ravioli and the salmon before serving, neither of which should take very long.
½ lb strawberries
12 pieces or 4 rings of dried pineapples
8 dried apricots
8 oz dark chocolate chips
1) Place ¾ of the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
2) Microwave the chocolate for 10 seconds.
3) Stir the chocolate.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the chocolate chips are just barely melted.
5) Add in about 10 chocolate chips and stir until they melt.
6) Dip the fruit in the chocolate.
7) If the chocolate begins to get thick or not stick well, reheat it for 10 seconds and give it a good stir.
8) Cool the chocolate dipped fruit in the fridge until nice and cold, about an hour.
9) Serve and Enjoy!